If you’re looking for a meal to impress your friends and/or a loved one, this healthy steamed mussels with white wine recipe won’t let you down.
The ingredient list is small, simple, and all-natural: mussels, white wine, fresh basil, grass fed butter, lemon zest, horseradish, onion, and coconut oil.
Mussels cook super fast too, so you can make this recipe in less than 20 minutes start-to-finish.
And best of all, it’s extremely healthy. I’m talking just 205 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 8 grams of carbs. You get a perfect combination of heart healthy fats and lean protein from this dish. And you can save the leftover broth for a fantastic soup base.
Here’s what the final product looks like:
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||10 min||4|
Ingredients: Steamed Mussels with White Wine Recipe
- 1.5 pounds fresh mussels
- 2 T grass fed butter (I used Organic Valley Whipped)
- 1 bunch of basil (about 1/4 cup worth)
- 3 cups white wine (I used pinot grigio)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. horseradish
- 1/2 onion
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Rinse and scrub the mussels in cold water.
2. Dice the onion and saute it in coconut oil over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Bring the wine to a boil in a large pot. Add the mussels, onion, butter, lemon zest, and horseradish. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and steam for 2 minutes. Quickly uncover and stir mussels then cook for another 2 minutes until the mussels all open up.
4. Discard the mussels that don’t open.
5. Add fresh basil on top, scoop mussels into four separate bowls along with a little broth, and serve. This recipe goes well with a good whole wheat pasta, brown rice, or quinoa (or you can just eat them as-is like I did).
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
205 calories, 8 g fat, 8 g carbs, 10 g protein, 301 mg sodium