This healthy tuna tartare recipe is one of my favorite dishes. You can serve it as an appetizer or as a main course for dinner.
For those who aren’t family with this fancy-pants-sounding dish, “tartare” is a preparation of finely chopped raw meat with seasonings and sauces (thanks, Wikipedia). Don’t let the “raw meat” part turn you off though. The acidic lime juice essentially “cooks” the fish when you let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so.
Tuna tartare is one of those foods that’s pretty easy to prepare and makes you look like an all-star in the kitchen. I like a little heat in mine, so I used some fresh jalapenos and cayenne pepper. Err on the side of caution, and add your spicy peppers little-by-little. I also used Bragg Liquid Aminos as a healthier alternative to soy sauce (it tastes the same, trust me).
Healthy Tuna Tartare Recipe Steps
This tuna tartare recipe strikes the perfect balance of sweet and salty. The veggies provide a nice crunchy texture that pairs great with the creamy avocado.
And nutritionally speaking, this dish is a winner too. It has 383 calories, and more importantly, the right types of calories. You get a great balance of healthy monounsaturated fats, healthy carbs from the veggies (plus 7.5 grams of fiber), lean protein.
Here’s the recipe … enjoy!
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Serves|
|10 min||60 min||2|
Ingredients: Easy Tuna Tartare Recipe
- 8 oz. tuna
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 T celery
- 2 T red pepper
- 2 T Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 lime
- 2 T mayo with olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 T jalapeno (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
1. Cut the tuna into small squares (approximately 1/4-inch).
2. Mince the onion, red pepper, celery and the jalapeno if you like a little more spice. Rinse and chop the cilantro.
3. Combine tuna with juice from lime, zest from lime, onion, red pepper, celery, cilantro, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, mayo, and spices.
4. Mix together and let sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
5. Peel and dice the avocado and mix into the tuna tartare before serving.
338 calories, 19 g fat, 16 g carbs (7.5 g fiber), 30 g protein, 584 mg sodium.